All Posts By

admin

Latest News in Nigeria News

Security operatives foil jailbreak in Kano

 

Security agents, on Thursday evening, prevented a jailbreak by inmates of Kurmawa prison, located around the emir’s palace in Kano state.

 

Sporadic gunshots were heard within the area where the prison is located, as residents prepared to break their Ramadan fast on Thursday evening.

 

Musbahu Nasarawa, spokesman of the Nigeria correctional service in Kano, confirmed the incident, adding that the inmates attempted to cause pandemonium but were resisted.

 

“We have put down the rebellion through the concerted efforts of the prison officials,” the spokesman said.

Nasarawa noted that violence broke out when prison officials attempted to retrieve illicit items found with some of the prisoners.

 

Unconfirmed reports had initially claimed that the commotion was the result of the poor quality of food the prisoners were served when they wanted to break their fast on Thursday.

 

Nasarawa, however, denied the claims that the crisis was the result of lack of food items or poor quality of food for the inmates.

 

He added that normalcy has now been restored to the area.

 

More to follow…

News

Photos from the Lying-in-state of Yinka Odumakin

The funeral rites of former spokesman of Pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere, Yinka Odumakin has kicked off.

It kicked off today April 22, with a lying-in-state and service of songs at the Police College, Ikeja Lagos.

Lagos state Governor, Sanwo Olu and other dignitaries across the country attended the lying-in-state.

His body will leave for Moro, his country home, in Ife North LGA of Osun State tomorrow, Friday, April 23 where a Christian wake keep will be held at the Origbo Anglican Grammar School, Moro, to be followed by a candlelight procession. 

His body will be interred on Saturday, April 24

Mr Odumakin had died from Covid- 19 related complications at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital isolation centre on Friday, April 2.

News

EFCC arrests Instagram comedian, Pankeeroy over fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested popular Instagram comedian, Nwagbo Oliver Chidera, popularly known as Pankeeroy.

Pankeeroy, with over 500,000 followers on Instagram, was arrested in Lagos State with 34 others for alleged involvement in computer-related fraud.

EFCC said he was arrested by operatives of the Lagos Zonal Office of the Commission.

They were arrested on Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at their hideout in James Court, Lekki, Lagos following verified intelligence received by the Commission over alleged criminal activities.

Until his arrest, Chidera, who claimed to have gone into Bitcoin scam after he suffered depression, had been presenting himself as a vendor who redeems bitcoin vouchers using the bitcoincoretrading.com platform to allegedly defraud his unsuspecting victims.

Upon his arrest, a Mercedes Benz AMG GLE model worth N36, 000,000 was recovered from him.

Investigations also revealed the suspect has N22, 300,000 worth of Bitcoin in his blockchain account.

Items recovered from the suspects include exotic cars, Iphones, laptop computers, Android devices and Macbook devices.

Names of some other suspects arrested along with Pankeeroy are: Chinedu Omesu Christian, Gafar Kunle Adedamola, Chuka AnieboRichard, Dibo Ayomide Samson, Rotimi Segun Damilola, Habeeb Banire Damilola, Afolabi Bolutife Michael, and Adekanbi Elijah Adeola among others.

The suspects will soon be charged to court, according to the EFCC.

News

Kwara badminton coach dies in auto crash

The head coach of Kwara’s badminton team, Abdulrauf Bello, has been killed in a crash on Ogbomosho road.

He was returning from Lagos where had gone to interview at the Spanish embassy when the crash occurred.

After IPOB’s attack-on-sight directive: Police operatives live in fear in S’East

The deceased, who is the Africa representative on the board of the World Para-badminton Federation, was scheduled to travel to Spain on May 6 for the final round of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics qualifier.

A triple gold medallist at the African Para-Badminton Championships in 2018, Bello who also doubles as the Kwara Badminton coach was Africa’s no one Badminton player with several medals to his credit.

He started playing badminton able-bodied participants 17 years ago, and then decided to take up coaching.

Bello qualified for the 2020 Brazil International Para-Badminton Championship and Spanish International Para-Badminton championships, but was hindered by the COVID-19 pandemic as both countries cancelled the championships.

His remains was on Thursday afternoon buried at the Muslim cemetery in Irewolede area of Ilorin.

He is survived by his pregnant wife and aged mother.

News

Presidency speaks on Pantami’s controversial past

The presidency has released the statement below declaring support for the embattled communications minister Isa Pantami amidst calls for him to step down or be sacked.

The presidency’s reaction was contained in a statement by President Muhammadu Buhari’s spokesperson, Garba Shehu.

Mr Pantami, an Islamic cleric, has been in the eye of the storm for the past two weeks after videos resurfaced online showing he supported, over a decade ago, extremist groups like Al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Many Nigerians called for his resignation or his sack based on the statements.

The minister later admitted making the controversial statements but said his views on such groups have changed. He also said he was being targeted for attack by people uncomfortable with his policies as the communication minister.

His explanation did not, however, satisfy many Nigerians who insisted on his removal, while many others declared support for him.

Read Mr Shehu’s full statement below.

STATE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENCY ON RECENT CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE MINISTER OF COMMUNICATIONS AND DIGITAL ECONOMY

Today, there is an unfortunate fashion in public discourse that makes leaders in politics, religion, and civil society liable in the present for every statement they have ever made in the past – no matter how long ago, and even after they have later rejected them.

This insidious phenomenon seeks to cancel the careers of others on the basis of a thing they have said, regardless of when they said it.

The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami is, currently, subject to a “cancel campaign” instigated by those who seek his removal. They do not really care what he may or may not have said some 20 years ago: that is merely the instrument they are using to attempt to “cancel” him. But they will profit should he be stopped from making decisions that improve the lives of everyday Nigerians.

The Minister has, rightly, apologized for what he said in the early 2000s. The views were absolutely unacceptable then, and would be equally unacceptable today, were he to repeat them. But he will not repeat them – for he has publicly and permanently condemned his earlier utterances as wrong.

In the 2000s, the Minister was a man in his twenties; next year he will be 50. Time has passed, and people and their opinions – often rightly – change.

But all discerning Nigerians know this manufactured dispute is nothing to do with the Minister’s prior words, but solely concern his actions in the present.

This Administration is committed to improving the lives of all Nigerians – and that includes ensuring they are not over-charged or under-protected for those services on which modern life depends.

The Minister has been leading the charge against illegal data deductions and pricing; he has revolutionized the government’s virtual public engagement to respond to COVID-19 and save taxpayers’ money; he has established ICT start-up centres to boost youth entrepreneurship and create jobs; he has changed policy to ensure locally produced ICT content is used by ministries, starting with his own; and he has deregistered some 9.2 million SIMs – ending the ability for criminals and terrorists to flagrantly use mobile networks undetected. In two short years, Minister Pantami has driven the contribution of the ICT sector to the GDP to more than 18 percent, making it one of the top two playing a critical role in the emergence of the economy from the COVID 19-induced recession.

In putting people first, the Minister and this administration have made enemies. There are those in the opposition who see success and want it halted by any means. And there is now well-reported information that alleges newspaper editors rebuffed an attempt to financially induce them to run a smear campaign against the minister by some ICT companies, many of which do indeed stand to lose financially through lower prices and greater consumer protections. The government is now investigating the veracity behind these claims of attempted inducement, and – should they be found to hold credence – police and judicial action must be expected.

The Administration stands behind Minister Pantami and all Nigerian citizens to ensure they receive fair treatment, fair prices, and fair protection in ICT services.

Garba Shehu

Senior Special Assistant to the President

(Media & Publicity)

April 22, 2021

News

Houseboy machetes sleeping employer to death – Police

The police in Ondo State on Thursday paraded one Emmanuel Akpan, a houseboy, with his accomplice, Goodness Ekpe, for allegedly killing his employer, Febisola Adebayo.

Bolaji Salami, commissioner of police in Ondo State, made this known while parading the suspects along with 25 others before journalists in Akure.

The CP explained that On March 29, 2021, at about 2300hrs at Ifokanbale Street, Ondo town, Mr Akpan killed his employer, Mrs Adebayo, a food canteen operator, in Ondo town, with a machete while the woman was sleeping.

According to the CP, the houseboy received information from one Goodness Ekpe, his town boy, who also works at Ondo town, that the late woman had a lot of money and this was why he carried out the dastardly act.

“Akpan carted away the sum of N3,500 two phones, some jewelries and generator from the house before he absconded,” he said.

The police commissioner, who said that Messrs Akpan and Ekpe were arrested at a village in Ogun State, explained that investigation was ongoing and after the investigation the two suspects would be charged to court accordingly.

“Last month, we paraded some criminals who were involved in various kinds of crimes, some of whom are cooling their heels in some correctional centres across the state today.

“Though, advertising our exploits had never been my style of policing, it sometimes looks inevitable to do so, with the hope that criminals will stay away from crimes.

“Within the period under review, my officers and men have maintained high sense of professional competence and this has brought about arrests and parade of the suspects,” he said.

Latest News in Nigeria News

Al-Qaeda: I stand behind Pantami – Buhari breaks silence, blasts Nigerians

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the backlash against Isa Pantami, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy.

 

Buhari declared his support for Pantami amid the backlash from Nigerians.

 

Pantami was recently linked to terrorists’ organisations like Al-Qaeda and Taliban due to his past radical preachings.

 

Following the emergence of his past, Nigerians have been calling for his sack and prosecution.

 

Pantami, however, distanced himself from such extremist groups.

 

He also admitted making such controversial comments but claimed his perception has changed.

 

Responding, Buhari berated Nigerians for their harsh disposition towards Pantami and some public officials.

 

He stated this in a statement signed by his spokesman, Garba Shehu.

 

The statement reads: “Today, there is an unfortunate fashion in public discourse that makes leaders in politics, religion, and civil society liable in the present for every statement they have ever made in the past – no matter how long ago, and even after they have later rejected them.

 

“This insidious phenomenon seeks to cancel the careers of others on the basis of a thing they have said, regardless of when they said it.

 

“The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami is, currently, subject to a “cancel campaign” instigated by those who seek his removal. They do not really care what he may or may not have said some 20 years ago: that is merely the instrument they are using to attempt to “cancel” him. But they will profit should he be stopped from making decisions that improve the lives of everyday Nigerians.

 

“The Minister has, rightly, apologized for what he said in the early 2000s. The views were absolutely unacceptable then, and would be equally unacceptable today, were he to repeat them. But he will not repeat them – for he has publicly and permanently condemned his earlier utterances as wrong.

 

“In the 2000s, the Minister was a man in his twenties; next year he will be 50. Time has passed, and people and their opinions – often rightly – change.

 

“But all discerning Nigerians know this manufactured dispute is nothing to do with the Minister’s prior words, but solely concern his actions in the present.

 

“This Administration is committed to improving the lives of all Nigerians – and that includes ensuring they are not over-charged or under-protected for those services on which modern life depends.

 

“The Minister has been leading the charge against illegal data deductions and pricing; he has revolutionized the government’s virtual public engagement to respond to COVID-19 and save taxpayers’ money; he has established ICT start-up centres to boost youth entrepreneurship and create jobs; he has changed policy to ensure locally produced ICT content is used by ministries, starting with his own; and he has deregistered some 9.2 million SIMs – ending the ability for criminals and terrorists to flagrantly use mobile networks undetected. In two short years, Minister Pantami has driven the contribution of the ICT sector to the GDP to more than 18 percent, making it one of the top two playing a critical role in the emergence of the economy from the COVID 19-induced recession.

 

“In putting people first, the Minister and this administration have made enemies. There are those in the opposition who see success and want it halted by any means. And there is now well-reported information that alleges newspaper editors rebuffed an attempt to financially induce them to run a smear campaign against the minister by some ICT companies, many of which do indeed stand to lose financially through lower prices and greater consumer protections. The government is now investigating the veracity behind these claims of attempted inducement, and – should they be found to hold credence – police and judicial action must be expected.

 

“The Administration stands behind Minister Pantami and all Nigerian citizens to ensure they receive fair treatment, fair prices, and fair protection in ICT services.”

Latest News in Nigeria News

Reps fall for satire, set to probe fake report on China-bound penises from Nigeria

 

The house of representatives has resolved to probe a report on a confiscated shipment of p3nises from Nigeria — only that no such thing happened.

At Thursday’s plenary session, the green chamber deliberated on a motion on the purported shipment which was said to be on its way to China.

 

Sponsored by Rimamnde Kwewum and Olajide Olatubosun, respecitively, from Taraba and Oyo, the motion sought the intervention of relevant government agencies in probing the reported illicit trade in human organs.

 

According to Kwewum, “about two weeks ago, acting on the information provided by an anonymous source, Chinese authorities seized a cargo ship that sailed from Nigeria with 7,200 refrigerated penises, which were found in 36 boxes labelled as plantain on the ship that harboured at the Shanghai port called Red Market.

 

“The Chinese General Administration of Customs had alerted that an increasingly large number of armed groups in Africa use organs which are harvested in unsanitary conditions to finance their nefarious activities.”

 

Pause. It is purely a satire.

 

The lawmakers approved the motion, not knowing that the story in question was fabricated by a satirical website.

Checks by TheCable showed it was first reported on March 19 by World News Daily Report (WNDR), a satirical website “where facts don’t matter.”

 

WNDR had said in its report: “Chinese customs officers have made the world’s biggest seizure of human organs in history this morning, a total of 7221 penises of African origin hidden in a refrigerated freight container.”

 

But the story, like every other article published on the website, was meant to be a satire and not from a real event.

 

There is also no record of such incident anywhere as confirmed by previous fact check reports including from Reuters.

According to a disclaimer on the WNDR website, “all characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people –  are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any persons, living, dead, or undead is purely a miracle.

 

“WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content.”

 

So, who will tell the lawmakers?

Latest News in Nigeria News

NEC refutes Obaseki’s claim, says no money was printed to support March allocation

 

The National Economic Council (NEC) says the federal government did not print money to support allocation to states in March.

 

Laolu Akande, spokesman to Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, in a statement, said the council affirmed this position at its meeting on Thursday.

 

Godwin Obaseki, Edo state governor, had raised allegation that the federal government printed N60 billion in March to support allocation for states.

 

The governor had insisted that Nigeria is in deep financial trouble, despite rebuttals from the ministry of finance and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

According to the statement, NEC received presentations from Zainab Ahmed, minister of finance, and Kayode Fayemi, chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF), during the meeting.

 

The council affirmed that “there was no printing of N60 billion or any other amount whatsoever to shore up allocation for the month of March.”

 

The statement said both Ahmed and Godwin Emefiele, CBN governor, informed the council that “the allegation of the printing of money to augment allocation was out rightly false.”

On the issue of security, the spokesman said the council unanimously affirmed the unity of Nigeria and said it would adopt the report of the national townhall meeting on national unity and security held recently in Kaduna.

 

He said the council welcomed the outcome of the townhall meeting, while urging states to hold wider consultations across the country and report back to NEC the outcome of the meetings.

 

Akande added that a national consensus would be reached on the recommendations including the adoption of state police, among other matters.

 

Present at the NEC meeting presided over by Osinbajo were state governors and ministers of FCT, finance, transport, information, aviation, water resources, and state for budget and national planning.