Browsing Category

Sports

News Sports

EPL: Kelechi Iheanacho to join Chelsea

 

Leicester City striker, Kelechi Iheanacho, is set to join Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea this summer.

 

According to Spanish publications, Fichajes, Tuchel is very convinced in the ability of Iheanacho to improve his team’s attack next season.

 

Iheanacho is one name being considered by Tuchel at Stamford Bridge should the west London club miss out on signing Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland this summer transfer window.

 

Tuchel is impressed with the talents of the Nigerian international, who is one of the most in-form strikers in England currently.

 

The report added that Tuchel is not the biggest fan of Chelsea striker, Tammy Abraham, with the ex-PSG manager leaving the England international out of Chelsea’s starting XI a few times in recent weeks.

 

Chelsea are also open to the possibility of striker, Olivier Giroud, leaving the Blues at the end of the season.

 

Meanwhile, Iheanacho has so far scored 15 goals in 31 appearances for Leicester City this season.

 

The 24-year-old joined Leicester City from Manchester City for £24 million in 2017.

News Sports

European Super League: I’m glad this project isn’t happening – Didier Drogba

Chelsea legend, Didier Drogba, has said he was glad to see the collapse of the proposed European Super League.

Drogba said the breakaway competition threatened the core values of football and discriminated against smaller teams.

Recall that twelve of Europe’s big clubs – the Premier League’s so-called ‘big six’, plus Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, and Inter Milan had on Sunday night unveiled their plans to start the controversial project which offered immunity from relegation for founding members.

But two days later, Chelsea and Manchester City were the first teams to be pulled out from the European Super League following widespread condemnation from fans, politicians and pundits.

However, reacting to the development, Drogba, in a tweet via his handle on Wednesday night, said, “Promotion, relegation, unexpected results is what drives the emotions of the game, Being together, as players, as fans… that’s what makes it the beautiful game. “Little” @EthnikiOmad beating the “big” @selecaoportugal a few years ago, @kkcrvenazvezda beating my team @OM_Officiel.

“Or even @LCFC working hard to win the @premierleague title in front of the “big four” is what makes football the beautiful game. Imagine all this effort and not being allowed to compete against other teams because you’re not one of them despite playing the same game.

“Is a kind of discrimination. I’m glad this project is not happening for the sake of the beautiful game and our amazing fans all around the world.”

News Sports

No club has left yet – Super League chairman, Perez insists

Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez, has insisted that no team has left the European Super League yet.

In an interview with El Larguero, Perez made it clear that anyone who thinks the project is dead is “completely wrong”.

Perez, who is also the president of the Super League, was speaking 24 hours after the controversial breakaway project collapsed.

According to him, the 12 founding members have not left yet as they all signed a legally “binding contract”.

He said: “I am a bit sad, disappointed. We have been working three years on this project, on fighting the current financial situation in Spanish football. It is easy to understand – you cannot touch La Liga, so you look for more money midweek.

“The leagues are sacred. What we can change is the midweek games. The Champions League is obsolete – it’s only interesting from the quarter-finals onwards.

“Among the 12 teams we lost €650million last season. This season two or three more times. This format clearly does not work.”

News Sports

Icardi, Neymar fire PSG into French Cup semis

Mauro Icardi netted a hat-trick and Neymar scored his first goal since January as holders Paris Saint-Germain thrashed Angers 5-0 on Wednesday to reach the French Cup semi-finals.

Record 13-time winners PSG, who are bidding to win a sixth French Cup in seven seasons, made short work of the visitors at the Parc des Princes.

“We are very happy with the performance of the team, professional,” said PSG coach Mauricio Pochettino, whose side host Manchester City in their Champions League semi-final first leg in a week’s time.

“I’m happy for Mauro’s (Icardi’s) three goals. I haven’t decided whether he will start soon or not, I haven’t thought about that.

“It’s not always easy when a player has injuries, series of problems, has a difficult season.”

The capital giants join Montpellier and amateurs Rumilly Vallieres in the last four, with Ligue 1 title hopefuls Lyon and Monaco facing off in the last quarter-final later on Wednesday.

Icardi fired Pochettino’s hosts ahead in the ninth minute, before Angers right-back Vincent Manceau put through his own net midway through the first half.

Neymar, captaining PSG in the absence of the injured Marquinhos, nodded home in the 65th minute.

It was the Brazilian’s first goal since a double against Lorient on January 31, having gone six games without a goal and spending time on the sidelines through injury and suspension.

Angel Di Maria teed up Icardi to tap in three minutes later, before the striker wrapped up his hat-trick in the 90th minute.

The Argentinian has scored 11 times in all competitions this season for PSG, despite only starting 15 matches.

The reigning champions visit Metz in a crucial Ligue 1 game on Saturday, sitting one point behind league leaders Lille with five matches remaining in the season.

News Sports

EPL: Real reason Tottenham chairman, Daniel Levy sacked Mourinho revealed

 

Tottenham Hotspur chairman, Daniel Levy, sacked Jose Mourinho as the club’s manager because the former Chelsea coach planned to rest several key players in Spurs’ Premier League clash against Southampton on Wednesday evening.

 

According to football transfer expert, Duncan Castles, Mourinho wanted to rest the players because of Tottenham’s League Cup final against Manchester City on Sunday at Wembley, but Levy opposed his decision which eventually led to the Portuguese’s sack.

 

Mourinho was sacked by Tottenham on Monday, 17 months after replacing Mauricio Pochettino.

 

“What is particularly painful for him [Mourinho] is being prevented from the opportunity to end Tottenham’s 13-year trophy drought having got them to the League Cup final against Manchester City [on Sunday],” Castles said on The Transfer Window Podcast.

 

“I can tell you from the information that I have from people close to Mourinho that ahead of that game, he talked to Daniel Levy.

 

“He explained that he intended to rest two or three of his most-used players for the Premier League game against Southampton in order to get the team in the best possible condition for the League Cup final.

 

“My information is that Levy had told him ‘no, I want you to play the strongest team possible against Southampton because league position is more important than winning that cup’.

 

“The people close to Mourinho think that was more of a provocation from Levy that he had decided he was going to change manager.

 

“People close to Mourinho if he hadn’t used that, he would have used something else to provoke him and manufacture his dismissal.

 

“Tottenham’s view is that they want the best finish to the season, and that is why they got rid of him.”

News Sports

Leicester star, Ndidi attacks DSTV over illegal use of image

Super Eagles and Leicester City’s defensive midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi has shared his displeasure over DSTV usage of his image without appropriate approval or permission.

Ndidi made this known via his verified Twitter handle. In his exact words, Leicester City star said “ Abeg make una see Corporate company in Nigeria using my image *without my permission* for massive nationwide promotion. *DSTV for that matter* . Abeg which kin wahala be this one now? I go vex oh..🙈”

Ndidi is set to play for Leicester City against West Brom in tomorrow’s Premier League encounter. 

Leicester City is currently third on the EPL table and hope to gain Champion League ticket.

News Sports

Super League: Manchester United Executive Vice-Chairman, Ed Woodward resigns

Manchester United Executive-Vice Chairman, Ed Woodward, has resigned.

This is following the backlash he received over the club’s involvement in European Super League.

He assumed the position in 2013 when he replaced CEO David Gill as chairman of the Red Devils.

During his reign, Manchester United have failed to win the Premier League title but it was his decision to sign the club up to the controversial Super League which has proved to have angered the fans the more.

Woodward handed in his resignation letter on Tuesday, according to talkSPORT.

News Sports

Super League: 14 Premier League clubs reveal action against Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, others

 

The 14 Premier League clubs left out of the newly-formed breakaway European Super League have announced they ‘vigorously reject’ the proposal.

 

The clubs said they are exploring options to stop the new league.

 

Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Liverpool on Sunday announced they had joined the new European Super League.

 

The six Premier League side joined forces with the Spanish side, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Italian giants, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan to form a new European competition.

 

The 14 Premier League clubs met on Tuesday to discuss their next move.

 

In a statement after the meeting, the rest of the Premier League clubs called on the ‘Big Six’ to immediately withdraw their membership from the Super League.

 

The EPL clubs warned they would seek to hold them to account if this plan progressed further.

 

“The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal,” a statement read.

 

“The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

 

“The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those shareholders involved to account under its rules.

 

“The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

 

“The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.

 

“The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people.”

 

FIFA, UEFA, FA, EFL, La Liga, Serie A, PFA, LMA have also condemned the move to set up the new European Super League which would abolish the Champions League and Europa League.

 

Also, the British Prime minister, Boris Johnson and Prince Andrew have tackled the planners of the new league, vowing to do everything within their powers to stop it.

News Sports

FIFA disapproves of Super League —Infantino

 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Tuesday there is “no doubt whatsoever” that football’s world governing body “disapproves” of the proposed European Super League (ESL) and that clubs involved could face “consequences”.

 

Twelve major clubs launched plans Monday for a new breakaway league which would drastically change the landscape of the world’s most popular sport.

 

“At FIFA we can only and strongly disapprove the creation of the Super League, of a Super League who is a closed shop, a breakaway from the current institutions, from the leagues, from the associations, from UEFA, and from FIFA,” Infantino told a UEFA congress in Switzerland.

 

“There is no doubt whatsoever of FIFA’s disapproval for this.”

 

Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are the six English clubs involved, together with Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid from Spain and Italian trio Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan.

 

UEFA has said the teams would be banned from domestic and other European competitions, including the Champions League.

 

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, the head of the new ESL, has insisted that would be “impossible”, but Infantino threatened action as FIFA took a stronger stance than it did with its initial statement when the news first broke.

 

“It is our task to protect the European sport model, so if some elect to go their own way then they must live with the consequences of their choices,” said Infantino.

 

“They are responsible for their choices.

 

“Either you’re in or you’re out. You can’t be half in and half out. Think of it, this has to be absolutely, absolutely clear.”

 

AFP

News Sports

FIFA president Infantino to give verdict on Super League

 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino is expected to deliver his verdict on the European Super League on Tuesday after the widely condemned breakaway competition triggered threats of legal action and punitive measures.

 

European body UEFA will look to support from the world football chief at its congress in Switzerland as it attempts to quash an initiative that threatens its prized Champions League and the health of domestic competitions such as England’s Premier League.

 

Twelve powerful clubs — six from England, and three each from Spain and Italy — have signed up for the Super League, which offers guaranteed spots for its founding members and billions of dollars in payments.

 

Currently, clubs have to qualify for the Champions League each year through their national competitions, and face a lengthy group phase before reaching the high-profile latter stages.

 

The plan prompted a furious reaction from fans and officials, with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin saying it was motivated by “greediness, selfishness and narcissism”, and Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp saying its closed nature was “not right”.

 

Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are the English clubs involved, together with Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid from Spain and Italy’s Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan.

 

Three more clubs are expected to sign up, including “at least two” from France, a source told AFP. Qatar-owned Paris Saint-Germain are a notable absentee, while Bayern Munich, the reigning European champions, have distanced themselves from the project.

 

Five more clubs will qualify annually for the 20-team, midweek competition, where two groups of 10 will precede two-legged quarter- and semi-finals and a one-off final. The competition is due for launch “as soon as is practicable”.

 

It constitutes a serious threat to UEFA, who together with the English, Spanish and Italian football authorities said the clubs could be banned from domestic and European competition.

 

The British government also said it was considering invoking competition law to block the breakaway.

 

FIFA’s reaction so far, ahead of Infantino’s speech at the opening of the UEFA congress, has been markedly less strident, expressing “disapproval” and calling for dialogue.

 

The world body’s stance is likely to be crucial. In January, FIFA and the six global confederations warned that any club or player involved in a breakaway would be ineligible for FIFA competitions.

 

– ‘Football has to change’ –

 

Backed by finance company JP Morgan, the Super League is offering the founding clubs 3.5 billion euros ($4 billion, £3 billion) for infrastructure investment and to offset pandemic costs.

 

The clubs, most of them heavily indebted and saddled with enormous player salaries, are expected to receive a further 10 billion euros in “solidarity payments” over the life of the initial commitment — much more than the returns available in the Champions League.

 

Britain’s culture secretary Oliver Dowden said the English clubs could find themselves subject to a formal review under British anti-trust law, which prevents the formation of monopolies or corporate cartels.

 

“We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening,” the minister said, vowing a “very robust response”.

 

However, organisers of the Super League said they would file court motions to stop players being banned and “ensure the seamless establishment and operation” of the competition, according to a letter to Ceferin and Infantino that was seen by AFP.

 

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, the head of the new ESL, said it was “impossible” that clubs would be thrown out of the Champions League, whose upcoming semi-finals feature Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid.

 

“Madrid will not be kicked out of the Champions League, definitely not. Nor City, nor anyone else,” he said, also insisting that players would still be able to represent their national teams.

 

“Football has to keep changing and adapting to the times. Football is losing interest. Something must be done,” Perez said.

 

The breakaway announcement came just hours before UEFA announced a new, 36-team format for the Champions League, which had been conceived to placate the continent’s biggest clubs.

 

AFP